Buying a home can be quite exhilarating. Nevertheless, you should not get carried away by all the excitement and forget to thoroughly inspect the property. Your Kansas City real estate expert should remind you of the importance of a detailed assessment, because once the sale has been finalized there is no going back.
Here are some of the features you should pay attention to when buying Kansas City real estate.
- Building structure – Make sure that all the walls look straight and secure. Bowing walls may indicate a major problem. Do you notice any cracks in the foundation? Ceiling? If you spot any defects at all, contact a legitimate repairman to get a repair cost estimate. This information can be used during the price negotiations.
- The roof – How old is the roof? Has it been repaired recently? The roof has to be in good shape. If it is not, you will need to replace it in the next few years.
- Water control/ Plumbing – Are the gutters clean and intact? Is there any water damage inside or outside the house? Broken pipes, clogged sinks, non-flushing toilets, and other water-related problems will lead to headaches later on.
- Flooring – Are they in great shape? Loose or chipped tiles can cause people to stub their toes, trip and fall. Wooden floors should also not be warped.
- Fixtures – Do the kitchen and bathroom fixtures look new? Do they work properly – both hot and cold? Is the water pressure decent when you turn on the showerhead?
- Electrical system – Do you have a sufficient amount of receptacle outlets? Are they in good condition? Is the main circuit breaker adequate for this particular Kansas City real estate property?
- Heating/Cooling – Both the heating and cooling systems in the house should be working properly in all rooms. Try them out before finalizing any sales documents. Once you signed on the dotted line, the problems will be yours to fix.