If your home, like so many others has been compromised by black mold, the best and safest way to get rid of it is to contact a professional. You should first find out for sure that it is black mold, and then ask for the best ways to clean and remove it. Black mold can be toxic, lives off of the moisture in your home, and will actually eat whatever surface it lives on.
As it grows, the black mold will release Volatile Organic Compounds, which can lead to a large number of health problems for you and your family. These problems include, but are not limited to: nausea, coughing and other respiratory problems, memory loss, and allergies.
If the mold has not grown and multiplied too much, you should be able to remove the black mold yourself. Although situations will vary, if the black mold is not out of hand, you can use a mildew or mold removing spray from your local hardware store. If you believe there is too much mold for you to handle, please make sure to contact a professional mold removal company. That way, you can ensure the safety of you family, as well as the removal of all of the mold.
If you are going to clean the mold yourself, there are several steps that should be followed. The first is to remove your moisture or ventilation problem. If the area is always humid, it may be a good idea to get a dehumidifier. For the best results, you can get a moisture meter to tell you if your humidity is in a safe range (lower than 55%).
You will need to contain the area, so that dust and mold spores will not be spread while cleaning. Cleaning your rooms separately and one at a time will help with this. You should also use plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal doors as you clean. As far as cleaning and removing the mold, please follow the directions on your mildew or mold removing spray carefully. Make sure to follow all safety procedures as well (ventilation, masks, etc.). Once your mold is cleaned and removed, make sure to keep an eye out for any future moisture problems.